Tour Scotland very short 4K Summer travel video clip of a Scotsman wearing a kilt and sporran and walking by a mansion house on ancestry, genealogy, history visit and trip to the Borders, Britain, United Kingdom. Bowhill estate has been owned by the Scott family since the 12th century, with a brief respite from 1690-1745 when it was owned by the Murrays. In 1322 Robert the Bruce granted estates in Ettrick Forest to the Buccleuch family. The crown reclaimed the Forest a century later and used the area as a royal hunting ground. William Murray purchased the estate at Bowhill in 1690 but it was not until 1708 that his brother John, Lord Bowhill, built the first country house here. In 1747 Lord Charles Scott, son of the 2nd Duke of Buccleuch, had political ambitions and wanted to become an MP for either Roxburgh or Selkirk. It was left to the 4th Duke of Buccleuch, Charles Scott, to begin work on a grand new country house, calling in architect William Atkinson to remodel the south front in 1812, and to add wings in 1819. The 5th Duke wanted to add his own touch to the house so he hired William Burn to extend the house and remodel the earlier work. Between them, the 4th and 5th Dukes transformed what had been little more than an occasional residence into a grand new house. Work went on until 1876 before Bowhill could be considered complete, by which time the frontage had reached a remarkable 437 feet long. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day. Find things to see and do in Scotland where you are always welcome. Summer in Scotland officially runs from June through August
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
No comments:
Post a Comment