Tour Scotland Video Of Old Photographs Of Tayport Fife
Tour Scotland travel Blog video of old photographs of Tayport, Fife, across from Dundee, Scotland. Tayport, also known as Ferry Port on Craig, a town and burgh, and parish, in the county of Fife. The settlement was originally called Partan Craig, Gaelic for Crab Rock. Over the following two hundred years English usage eroded many Gaelic place names in eastern Scotland and Partan Craig had become known as Portincragge by 1415 and as Port-in-Craige by the end of the 15th century. In 1598 the settlement received its burgh charter in the name of Ferry-Port on Craig. Ferry-Port on Craig saw a dramatic increase in population at the end of the 18th century when tenants displaced by agricultural improvement and clearances, came to take advantage of jobs in the town's textile and shipbuilding industries. In the 1850s, the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway Company established a railway service running from Edinburgh to Aberdeen that passed through Ferry-Port on Craig. They used the simpler name of Tayport for the town. This less cumbersome name soon caught on and over time, Tayport replaced Ferry-Port on Craig as the more common name. Douglas Cuthbert Colquhoun Young was born in Tayport on 5 June 1913. He was a Scottish poet, scholar, translator and politician. He was the leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP) from 1942 to 1945, and was a classics professor at McMaster University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in America from 1970 until his death on 23 October 1973.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.