Old Photograph Bridge Currie Scotland
Old photograph of the early 19th century semi circular arched bridge in Currie located South West of the centre of Edinburgh, Scotland. There are a few mentions of this area in mediaeval and early modern documents, but there has been a Christian community in this area for more than 1,000 years. In 1018, the archdeacons of Lothian set up their headquarters in the area. John Bartholomew's Civic and Ecclesiastical maps of the 13th century do not show Currie, but the Index of Charters 1309 to 1413 records Currie as being favourite hunting grounds for the Lords and Knights of Edinburgh Castle.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson