Tour Scotland Video Girls Cycling Race Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland video of the Youth and Girls Cycling criterium road race on visit to Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. This wonderful Youth Tour of Scotland public event was held on a rainy morning. Cyclists road through the slippery streets including Mill Street, High Street and Scott Street. Participants included; Stuart Balfour, Nathan Draper, Matthew Walls, Dion McCarthy, Lewis Champion, Jake Grey, Jack Carlin, Henry Dawson, Luke Morgan, Michael O'Loughlin, Rhys Donnelly, Jack Escritt, Alexander Braybrooke, Jake Dobson, Oscar Williamson, Jack Crombie, Matthias Barnet, Lewis Mulholland, Conor Nally, Matthew Bostock, Calum Magowan, Hamish Turnbull, Matthew Draper, Mark McGuire, Harry Johnston, Ryan Phillips, Jamie Mason, Andy Brown, Andrew Brown, Andrew Vettraino, Adam Hartley, Alexander Foster, Michael Moss, Francis Webb, Tom Yiangou, Ben Forsyth, Jack Smith, Stephen Dent, Stuart Paterson, Matthew Peters, Jordan Stronach, Aaron Swan, Calum Mitchell, Ryan Orr, Grant Martin, Owen Dudley, James Risk, Rian Hill, Thomas Deas, Harry Craig, Ciaran McFadden, Finlay Robertson, Ralf Hodgson, Alex Harvey, Alex Evans, Thomas McCann, John Macleod, Joe Mann, Danny Hedley, Charlie Nolan, Joshua Brooks, Hamish Cooper, Harris Redgrove, Kieran Robbins, Euan Smith.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Youth and Boys Cycling Race Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland video of the Youth and Boys Cycling criterium road race on visit to Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. This wonderful Youth Tour of Scotland public event was held on a rainy morning. Cyclists road through the slippery streets including Mill Street, High Street and Scott Street. Participants included; Stuart Balfour, Nathan Draper, Matthew Walls, Dion McCarthy, Lewis Champion, Jake Grey, Jack Carlin, Henry Dawson, Luke Morgan, Michael O'Loughlin, Rhys Donnelly, Jack Escritt, Alexander Braybrooke, Jake Dobson, Oscar Williamson, Jack Crombie, Matthias Barnet, Lewis Mulholland, Conor Nally, Matthew Bostock, Calum Magowan, Hamish Turnbull, Matthew Draper, Mark McGuire, Harry Johnston, Ryan Phillips, Jamie Mason, Andy Brown, Andrew Brown, Andrew Vettraino, Adam Hartley, Alexander Foster, Michael Moss, Francis Webb, Tom Yiangou, Ben Forsyth, Jack Smith, Stephen Dent, Stuart Paterson, Matthew Peters, Jordan Stronach, Aaron Swan, Calum Mitchell, Ryan Orr, Grant Martin, Owen Dudley, James Risk, Rian Hill, Thomas Deas, Harry Craig, Ciaran McFadden, Finlay Robertson, Ralf Hodgson, Alex Harvey, Alex Evans, Thomas McCann, John Macleod, Joe Mann, Danny Hedley, Charlie Nolan, Joshua Brooks, Hamish Cooper, Harris Redgrove, Kieran Robbins, Euan Smith.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Women's Cycling Criterium Race Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland video shot today of the Women's Cycling criterium road race on visit to Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. This wonderful event public was held on a rainy Sunday morning, 7th of April. Cyclists road through the slippery streets including Mill Street, High Street and Scott Street.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Elibank Tower Scotland

Old photograph of Elibank Tower, Scotland. The ruins of Elibank Tower overlooking the River Tweed Valley in Selkirkshire.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Earlsferry Scotland

Old photograph Earlsferry, East Neuk of Fife, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Port Ellen Islay Scotland

Old photograph of Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland. Port Ellen is built around Loch Leodamais, Islay's main deep water harbour. It is the largest town on Islay, only slightly larger than Bowmore and provides the main ferry connection between Islay and the mainland, at Kennacraig. The Port Ellen Whisky Distillery was first established in the 1820s and ceased production of Scotch whisky in 1983. The large malting continues to produce for the majority of the distilleries on Islay.

Old photograph of Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland.


Old photograph of Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland.

Old photograph of Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland.

Old photograph of Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland.


Old photograph of Port Ellen, Islay, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Tarbet Loch Lomond Scotland

Old photograph of a paddle steamer at the pier in Tarbet, Loch Lomond, Scotland. Traditionally on the northern fringes of the historic County of Dunbarton, this Scottish village is on the banks of Loch Lomond. It stands on an isthmus where Loch Long and Loch Lomond come close. The village of Arrochar stands at the head of Loch Long, at the other side of the isthmus. Arrochar and Tarbet railway station, on the West Highland Line, stands between the two villages.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Cottages Charlestown Fife Scotland

Old photograph of cottages in Charlestown, Fife, Scotland. Charlestown was established in 1770 by Charles Bruce, 5th Earl of Elgin. The planned village is laid out in the shape of a letter E for Elgin. It was established as a harbour town for the shipment of coal mined on Lord Elgin's Fife estates, and for the production of lime. The harbour's outer basin was built around 1840. In 1887, on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, the Queen's Hall was built at the village centre, to designs by Robert Rowand Anderson. Shipbuilding was carried on at Charlestown in the 19th century, as well as ship-breaking. Some of the German Imperial Fleet were brought here from Scapa Flow after World War I to be broken up.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video Youth Bicycle Tour Forgandenny Forteviot Perthshire



Tour Scotland video shot today of part of the Youth Bicycle tour on the road between Forgandenny and Forteviot on visit to rural Perthshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Airborne Forces Memorial St John's Kirk Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland video of the Airborne Forces Memorial on ancestry visit to St John's Kirk in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. The bronze memorial bears the badges of the Parachute Regiment and the Special Air Service Regiment, along with a winged Pegasus and a paratrooper in full jump kit. The inscription reads, " At the going down of the sun, And in the morning, We will remember them. " The memorial was made by Peter Hicks Associates, the well-known producer of military plaques and statuettes.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video Organ Music St John's Kirk Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland video of Organ music in St John's Kirk in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. The organist is Toby Moschard a native of the Fair City of Perth. St John's Kirk was founded in 1126 and is still the centrepiece of the town. In 1559 John Knox preached a powerful sermon here that helped begin the Reformation, inci­ting a frenzied destruction of Scone abbey and other religious sites. Perth used to be known as St John's Town after this church, and the local football team is still called St Johnstone.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Lieutenant John Irving Gravestone Dean Cemetery Edinburgh



Tour Scotland video of the Lieutenant John Irving gravestone on ancestry visit to Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh, Scotland. Lt John Irving of HMS Terror, born 1822, died 1848 or 1849, died on King William Island as part of the Franklin Expedition searching for the Northwest Passage and whose body was found some 30 years later and brought back to Edinburgh for burial, re-interred 7th of November 1881. HMS Terror was a bomb vessel designed by Sir Henry Peake and constructed by the Royal Navy by Robert Davy, Topsham, Devon. The ship, variously listed as being of either 326 or 340 tons, carried two mortars, one 13 inch and one 10 inch. The ship took part in the Ross expedition of 1839 to 1843. Terror was outfitted with steam engines, which were ex London and Greenwich Railway steam locomotives. Rated at 25 horsepower the engine could propel the ship at 4 knots. Twelve day's supply of coal was carried. Iron plating was added to the hull for the voyage to the Arctic with Sir John Franklin in overall command of the expedition in Erebus, and Terror again under the command of Captain Francis Rawdon Moira Crozier. The expedition was ordered to gather magnetic data in the Canadian Arctic and complete a crossing of the Northwest Passage, which had already been charted from both the east and west but never entirely navigated.

This interesting surname, with variant spellings Irvine, Ervin, Urvine, Erving etc., is of Scottish territorial origin either from Irving, the name of an old parish in Dumfriesshire, or from Irvine in Strathclyde.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video David Octavius Hill Monument Dean Cemetery Edinburgh



Tour Scotland video of the David Octavius Hill monument on ancestry visit to Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh, Scotland. David, born 1802, died 1870, was an artist and photography pioneer The monument is by his second wife, Amelia Robertson Paton, born 1820, died 1904. David Octavius Hill was born in 1802 in Perth, Perthshire. His father, a bookseller and publisher, helped to re-establish Perth Academy and David was educated there as were his brothers. He formed Hill & Adamson studio with the engineer and photographer Robert Adamson between 1843 and 1847 to pioneer many aspects of photography in Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Colonel Robert A. Smith Monument Dean Cemetery Edinburgh



Tour Scotland video of the Colonel Robert A. Smith monument on ancestry visit to Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh, Scotland. On September 14, 1862, Scottish born Colonel Smith was ordered to capture a vital bridge during the Battle of Munfordville. After three hours of combat, Confederate losses were 40 dead and 211 wounded. Smith himself was mortally wounded and in great pain until he died several days later. The Battle of Munfordville, also known as the Battle of Green River, was an engagement in Kentucky, USA, during the American Civil War. Victory there allowed the Confederates to temporarily strengthen their hold on the region and impair Union supply lines. In late August 1862, Confederate General Braxton Bragg's army left Chattanooga, Tennessee and marched into Kentucky. Pursued by Major General. Don Carlos Buell's Union Army, Bragg approached Munfordville, a station on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and the location of the railroad bridge crossing Green River, in mid-September. Colonel John T. Wilder commanded the Union garrison at Munfordville, which consisted of three regiments behind extensive fortifications. Wilder refused Brigadier General James R. Chalmers's demand to surrender on September 14. Union forces repulsed Chalmers's attacks that day, forcing the Confederates to conduct siege operations September 15 and September 16. Late on September 16, realizing that Buell's forces were near and not wishing to kill or injure innocent civilians, the Confederates sent another demand for surrender. Wilder entered enemy lines under a flag of truce, and Confederate Major General Simon B. Buckner escorted him to view the Confederate strength to convince him resistance was futile. Realizing the odds he faced, Wilder agreed to surrender. The formal ceremony took place the next day. With the railroad and bridge, Munfordville was an important transportation center, and Confederates' control hampered the movement of Union supplies and men. Three places in the National Register of Historic Places are related to the battle. The entire battlefield is listed in the National Register as the Battle of Munfordville Site. The Unknown Confederate Soldier Monument in Horse Cave marks the grave of a Louisiana soldier accidentally killed while clearing timber for the Confederate advance. The Colonel Robert A. Smith Monument is the only one still on the battlefield.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video John Leishman Gravestone Dean Cemetery Edinburgh




Tour Scotland video of the John Leishman gravestone on ancestry visit to Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh, Scotland. Writer to the Signet, born 1801, died 1861, and of his wife Hannah Elizabeth Weatherley. Solicitors in Scotland were previously known as " writers "; Writers to the Signet were the solicitors entitled to supervise use of the King's Signet, the private seal of the early Kings of Scots. Records of that use date back to 1369. In 1532, the Writers to the Signet were included as Members in the newly established College of Justice, along with the Faculty of Advocates and the Clerks of the Court of Session. The Society was established in 1594, when the King's Secretary, as Keeper of the Signet, gave commissions to a Deputy Keeper and 18 other writers.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Major General William John Gairdner Gravestone Dean Cemetery Edinburgh




Tour Scotland video of the Major General William John Gairdner gravestone on ancestry visit to Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh, Scotland. He was born in 1789 and died in 1861 aged 72. A sculpture of his hat under a canopy, with his sword at the base. Jane Wishart, his wife, was born in 1822 and died in 1894 aged 72. William John Gairdner was born in September 1789, the son of Alexander Gairdner of Ladykirk, Markton, Ayrshire. Appointed a Cadet in the Honourable East India Company’s forces in 1807, he arrived in India in October 1808 and was posted to the 10th Native Infantry as an Ensign. Quickly in action against the Bhattis in the following year, Gairdner was transferred as an Ensign to the 2/10th Native Infantry for operations in the Oudh in 1813, seeing action in Rewah and at the storming of Etah, where he was wounded. Then in 1816, having been advanced to Lieutenant, he fought with the 2nd Brigade, Left Column in operations of the Nepal War; and in the same year he was also witnessed the Bareilly insurrection. Gairdner was Adjutant of the 2/10th Native Infantry from March 1817 to April 1824, a period that encompassed further active service in the Third Mahratta War, and, having transferred to the 14th Native Infantry in May 1824, he served in the First Burma War and was present at the engagements at Donabew on 2 April 1825 and at Prome on 1 December of the same year, latterly as a temporary Staff Assistant Commissary-General to Sir A. Campbell’s force. He became a Deputy Assistant Commissary-General in August 1831, was advanced to Major in June 1835 and returned home to Scotland on furlough 1836 to 1840. Back in India, Gairdner was advanced to Lieutenant-Colonel in January 1842 and appointed to the command of the 14th Native Infantry, which regiment he led in the Gwalior operations of the following year, not least at Maharajpoor; and again, between 1845 and 1846, he commanded the regiment in the First Sikh War and was present at Ferozeshuhur; his C.B. Military Companion’s breast badge, was gazetted in April 1846. Transferring to the 16th Native Infantry, Gairdner’s final stint of active service was against the Rajah of Sikkim’s forces in 1850; he was appointed Commanding Officer of the 63rd Native Infantry. soon after his advancement to full Colonel in September 1852 but returned home on furlough in the same year and died at Strathtyrum House, St. Andrews, Fife in February 1861. His advancement to Major-General dated from November 1854.

The Gairdner surname is of early medieval English and French origin, and is from occupational name derived from the Middle English and Old Northern French " gardin ", garden, itself a diminutive of the Germanic word, gard, an enclosure. The function of the gardinier, or jardiniere in modern French, of medieval times was an important one, since he was responsible for cultivating edible produce in an orchard or kitchen garden, what would now be a market gardener. The use of the word gardener, referring to one who tends ornamental lawns and flower beds is a much later application. Richard Gardiner was listed as a seaman aboard the Mayflower in 1620, which sailed for the New World. One Peter Gardner was one of the first emigrants to the New Virginia Colony in America in April 1635, leaving London, England, on the Elizabeth under Mr. William Staggs. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William le Gardinier, which was dated 1199.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video Forth Railway Bridge Firth Of Forth South Queensferry



Tour Scotland video of the Forth Railway Bridge over the Firth of Forth near Hawes Pier on visit to South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, Scotland. Also called Queensferry or simply The Ferry, which is a former Royal Burgh in West Lothian now part of the City of Edinburgh. The bridge is a famous Scottish icon which spans the estuary from South Queensferry to North Queensferry in the Kingdom of Fife. The jetty at the Hawes Inn was designed by Rennie and Stevenson and was in use until the ferry closed in 1964.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video Cruise Boat Firth Of Forth South Queensferry



Tour Scotland video of a cruise boat on the Firth of Forth arriving a Hawes Pier on visit to South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, Scotland. Also called Queensferry or simply The Ferry, which is a former Royal Burgh in West Lothian now part of the City of Edinburgh. Behind the boat in the distance you can see the Forth Road Bridge and beyond the Kingdom of Fife.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Passenger Train Leaving Railway Station Dalmeny



Tour Scotland video of a passenger train leaving the railway station in Dalmeny by South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, Scotland. This Scottish train is just about to cross the Forth Railway Bridge over the Firth of Forth.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Passenger Train Railway Station Dalmeny



Tour Scotland video of a passenger train arriving at the railway station in Dalmeny by South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, Scotland. This Scottish train has just crossed the Forth Railway Bridge over the Firth of Forth. The current station is the second to serve the town. The first station was on the South Queensferry branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway which opened on 1 March 1866. The North British Railway closed the original station on 5 March 1890 to be replaced by the existing station at the same time as the opening of the Forth Bridge. The majority of trains calling at the station are part of the Fife Circle Line services, however there is a daily service between Glasgow Queen Street and Kirkcaldy that calls here and uses the line to Winchburgh Junction.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Skull And Crossbones Gravestone Churchyard Dalmeny



Tour Scotland video of a skull and crossbones gravestone in the churchyard on ancestry visit to Dalmeny by South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, Scotland. Symbols of Mortality such as the Deaths Head; skull and cross bones are fairly common on gravestones from the late 17th century onwards.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Robert Ruthven Saddler Gravestone South Queensferry



Tour Scotland video of the Robert Ruthven, Saddler gravestone in the cemetery on ancestry visit to South Queensferry, near Edinburgh, Scotland. Robert J H Ruthven, Saddler, born 1866, died 1949, aged 83. Agnes G Stewart Saddler, born 1870, died 1957, aged 87, wife of Robert J H Ruthven Saddler.

This is a famous Scottish clan surname. It is locational from the barony of Ruthven in the former county of Angus. In the ancient charters of Scotland, the original family were recorded in the register of the abbey of Scone by Perth, Perthshire, as being witnesses to various transfers of land by the royal family of Scotland in the years between 1125 and 1150. Interestingly all the early personal names such as Thor and Swein are Scandanavian, showing the influence of Danish-Viking settlers in the region. The first of the clan to have held the title of de Ruthven', was Swan de Ruthven in the year 1211.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Post Office Staff Perth Scotland

Old photograph of Post Office Staff in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Boat of Garten Scotland

Old photograph of Boat of Garten in Badenoch And Strathspey, Scotland.

Old photograph of Boat of Garten in Badenoch And Strathspey, Scotland.

Old photograph of Boat of Garten in Badenoch And Strathspey, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Cottages Enochdhu Scotland

Old photograph of cottages in Enochdhu a hamlet located West of Kirkmichael, Perthshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Colinton Scotland

Old photograph of Colinton located South West of the centre of Edinburgh, Scotland. Originally sited within a steep sided glen on a convenient fording point on the Water of Leith, and expanding from there, Colinton's history dates back to before the 11th century.


All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Skerinish Scotland

Old photograph of Skerinish, Isle Of Skye, Scotland. On the coast near Skerinish Quay are the remains of a small promontory dun. The dun lies on the top of a small rocky stack. An earth bank cuts off access from the landward side and there are traces of walling around the remainder of the platform. A possible rock cut entrance leads down to the shore on the North West side. Dun is a generic term for an ancient or medieval fort. It is mainly used in the British Isles to describe a kind of hill fort and also a kind of Atlantic roundhouse. The term comes from Irish dún or Scottish Gaelic dùn, meaning, fort, and is cognate with Old Welsh din, whence Welsh dinas, meaning, city, comes.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Rosebank Scotland

Old photograph of cottages and houses in Rosebank village in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Old photograph of Rosebank, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video Sunset Fairground South Inch Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland April video of sunset behind the Fairground on visit to South Inch Park in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. Perth is a city in central Scotland, located on the banks of the River Tay. It is the administrative centre of Perth and Kinross council area and the historic county of Perthshire.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video Drive Towards Sunset Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland April video shot this evening of part the drive South along Friarton Road towards sunset on visit to Perth, Perthshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Dailly Scotland

Old photograph of cottages, houses and people Dailly located eight miles South of Maybole in South Ayrshire, Scotland. This Scottish village was laid out in the 1760s as a coal-mining village. In 1849 a fire broke out in Dalquharran Colliery, one of the nearby mines, and continued to burn for 50 years.


All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Cranshaws Castle Scotland

Old photograph of Cranshaws Castle, Berwickshire, Scotland. This Scottish castle is thought to be the inspiration for Ravenswood Castle, the home of Edgar, hero of Sir Walter Scott's tragedy the Bride of Lammermoor. The lands of Cranshaws were originally part of the Barony of Bothwell, which barony was created for David Olifard, ancestor of the current chief of the Clan Oliphant, by King Malcolm IV in the middle of the 12th century. Occupancy was then granted to a younger Olifard son, with whose line the estate remained for some centuries. In 1329, the senior representative of the younger line but now 7th chief, William Oliphant, Lord of Aberdalgie, died and amongst the properties which he left was Cranshaws, which he had inherited from his Olifard forebears. In 1401 Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas bestowed Cranshaws upon Sir John Swinton, 14th of that Ilk whom the Earl calls " dilectus consanguineus nostra " meaning our beloved cousin " thus dispossessing the Oliphants. Following Swinton's death at the Battle of Homildon Hill the following year, the lands passed to his son Sir John Swinton, 15th of that Ilk, who is thought to have built the existing castle.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Gairlochy Scotland

Old photograph of Gairlochy near Fort Augustus, Highland, Scotland. Between 1803 and 1822, the Caledonian Canal was built, passing through Gairlochy, over the original site of the River Lochy. Two locks were built for access onto Lochy Lochy, but only one, the Upper Lock, is still in use.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Glenluce Scotland

Old photograph of Glenluce, Wigtownshire, Scotland. Robert the Bruce stopped for a rest at Glenluce.

Old photograph of Glenluce, Wigtownshire, Scotland.

Old photograph of Glenluce, Wigtownshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video View South River Tay Queens Bridge River Tay Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland April video of the view South over the River Tay from Queens Bridge in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. The opening ceremony of the new Queen's Bridge was by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, on 10th October, 1960.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland April Video View North River Tay Queens Bridge River Tay Perth Perthshire



Tour Scotland April video shot this morning of the view North over the River Tay from Queens Bridge in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Fair Maid's House Perth Perthshire




Tour Scotland video of Fair Maid's House in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. The 15th Century Fair Maid's House on North Port is the oldest secular building in Perth. Bought by the Glovers Association in 1693 for use as a meeting house, the house was largely reconstructed in 1893. This was used as the home of Catherine Glover in the poem, The Fair Maid Of Perth which was written by Sir Walter Scott. RSGS has now opened an exciting new Visitor and Information Centre in the Fair Maid's House.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Tour Scotland Video Moncrieff Coat Of Arms Easter Rhynd Perthshire




Tour Scotland video of the Moncrieff Coat Of Arms in the ruins of the old Parish Church in Easter Rhynd in Perthshire, Scotland. The Moncreiffes are of great antiquity, and possibly descend through a female stem of the Celtic Royal Dynasty. The name Moncreiffe is derived from the Barony of Moncreiffe in Perthshire. During the Anglo-Scottish Wars in the 16th century the Laird of Moncreiffe was Chamberlain to young King James III of Scotland. He led the Clan Moncreiffe against the English when they fought at the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Soldier And Fiancée St Andrews Scotland

Old photograph of a soldier and his fiancée in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Cottages Rattray Head Scotland

Old photograph of cottages at Rattray Head by Fraserburgh, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photograph Cottages Hermiston Scotland

Old photograph of cottages in Hermiston, Edinburgh, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs St Cyrus Scotland

Old photograph of St Cyrus located in Southern Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The remains of the Kaim of Mathers is located on rock pinnacles on the northern most part of the beach. Built by the Barclay family, it was used as a refuge by David de Berkely from the vengeance of the king when, around 1420, he was part of a group who murdered the local sheriff, John Melville of Glenbervie.




Old photograph of St Cyrus located in Southern Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Old photograph of St Cyrus located in Southern Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Insch Scotland

Old photograph of Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Situated approximately 28 miles from the city of Aberdeen. In the Middle Ages, this Scottish village was home to a colony of Flemish merchants.

Old photograph of Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Old photograph of Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

Old Photographs Marykirk Scotland

Old photograph of a shop, vintage car, cottages, houses and people in Marykirk located six miles North East of Montrose, Scotland. The present parish church was rebuilt in 1806 replacing the previous church the remains of which can be found in the adjacent kirkyard. The older church was dedicated to St Mary and consecrated in 1242 by the Bishop de Bernham.


Old photograph of Marykirk North East of Montrose, Scotland.

Old photograph of Marykirk North East of Montrose, Scotland.

Old photograph of Marykirk North East of Montrose, Scotland.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.