My Love Is Like A Red Red Rose Robert Burns Song Scotland



Tour Scotland travel video of the My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose song by Robert Burns set to a slide show of some photographs of Scottish flowers. One of the most famous love songs associated with Robert Burns, My Luve's like a Red, Red Rose was composed prior to 1794. Part of the song's appeal is its use of powerful, natural imagery to convey a love that is ever lasting and capable of surviving both distance and time.

O my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry , my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only Luve !
And fare thee weel, a while !
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile !

English Translation:

O, my love is like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my love is like the melody,
That is sweetly played in tune.

As fair are you, my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I,
And I will love you still, my dear,
Until all the seas go dry.

Until all the seas go dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt with the sun!
And I will love you still, my dear,
While the sands of life shall run.

And fare you well, my only love,
And fare you well a while!
And I will come again, my Love,
Though it be ten thousand miles!

The only occasion that Robert Burns visited Perth, Perthshire, was towards the end of his 22 day tour of the Highlands during August and September, 1787.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: