Tour Scotland Travel Video Winter Setting Sun Loch Tay Highland Perthshire



Tour Scotland Winter travel video Blog of the sun setting behind Loch Tay, Scottish Gaelic, Loch Tatha, a freshwater loch, on ancestry visit to the Central Perthshire Highlands of Scotland. Loch Tay is in the Perth and Kinross and Stirling council areas. The watershed of Loch Tay traditionally formed the historic province of Breadalbane. Killin at the head of the loch, and Kenmore at the outflow of the River Tay, are the main settlements on the lochside today. The smaller settlements of Acharn, Ardeonaig and Ardtalnaig are located on the south side of the loch whilst Fearnan and Lawers are on the north side. The loch is a popular spot for salmon fishing, and many of its surroundings feature in the traditional Scottish Loch Tay Boat Song. In 1882 a company named the Loch Tay Steamboat Company was established by the then Earl of Breadalbane to operate steamer services on the Loch.

Loch Tay Boat Song
When I've done my work of day,
And I row my boat away,
Doon the waters of Loch Tay,
As the evening light is fading
And I look upon Ben Lawers
Where the after glory glows;
And I think on two bright eyes
And the melting mouth below.

She's my beauteous nighean ruadh,
She's my joy and sorrow too;
And although she is untrue,
Well I cannot live without her,
For my heart's a boat in tow,
And I'd give the world to know
Why she means to let me go,
As I sing horee horo.

Nighean ruadh, your lovely hair
Has more glamour I declare
Than all the tresses rare
'tween Killin and Aberfeldy.
Be they lint white, brown or gold,
Be they blacker than the sloe,
They are worth no more to me
Than the melting flake of snow.

Her eyes are like the gleam
O' the sunlight on the stream;
And the songs the fairies sing
Seem like songs she sings at milking.
But my heart is full of woe,
For last night she bade me go
And the tears begin to flow,
As I sing horee, horo.

She's my beauteous nighean ruadh,
She's my joy and sorrow too
And although she is untrue,
Well I cannot live without her.
For my heart's a boat in tow
And I'd give the world to know,
Why she means to let me go
As I sing horee horo.

Ben Lawers on its north shore is, at 3,983 feet, the tenth highest mountain in the British Isles, and is the highest peak in a group of seven munros.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: