Old Photograph Water Tower Arbroath Scotland
Old photograph of the Water Tower in Arbroath, Scotland. The Water Tower was built in 1885. It was built with the labour of unemployed in Arbroath in an early form of workfare. It was designed by Friockheim architect William Gillespie Lamond in the style of a fake medieval fortress with rusticated red sandstone walls. It is jokingly known as Arbroath's castle. It was designed to provide the town with an adequate drinking water supply but was only operational for 20 years. The Tower contained three lined tanks with a total capacity of 200,000 gallons. The location was chosen because of a natural spring that flowed there. The use of the Tower was discontinued following the provision of a greater water supply from Glenogil. In 1937 the land surrounding the Water Tower was given to the Town Council for use as a park.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.