Tour Scotland Video There'll Never Be Peace Till Jamie Comes Hame Festival Auchtermuchty Fife



Tour Scotland video of There'll Never Be Peace Till Jamie Comes Hame being sung at the Traditional Music Festival in Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland. Heather Haywood singing at Muchty Festival, she is best known for her interpretation of traditional songs, her repertoire is wide with the bulk of her material coming from the Scottish tradition.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

By yon castle wa' at the close of the day,
I heard a man sing, tho his head it was grey,
And as he was singing, the tears doon came,
There'll never be peace till Jamie comes hame !

The Church is in ruins, the State is in jars,
Delusion, oppressions, and murderous wars,
We dare na weel sayl but we ken wha's to blame
There'll never be peace till Jamie comes hame !

My seven braw sons for Jamie drew sword,
But now I greet round their green beds in the yerd;
It brak the sweet heart o my faithfu auld dame.
There'll never be peace till Jamie comes hame !

Now life is a burden that bows me down,
Sin I tint my bairns, and he tint his crown;
But till my last moments my words are the same.
There'll never be peace till Jamie comes hame !

Meaning of Scots words:
wa' means wall
greet means weep
yerd means kirkyard
sin I tint means as I lost
bairns means children

Robert Burns was born in 1757 so the passions of the Jacobite Uprising of 1745 and the wish by some to see the return of King James VIII were still very much in evidence during his lifetime. During his work collecting old Scottish songs, Burns came across the title of this song and created the words to go with it. "Jamie" is of course James VIII.

No comments: