Monday, 17 July 2017
Old Photograph Factory Workers St. Rollox Springburn Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of factory workers at St. Rollox in Springburn, Glasgow, Scotland. Springburn developed from a small rural hamlet at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Its industrial expansion began with the establishment of a chemical works by Charles Tennant on the newly opened Monkland Canal at nearby St. Rollox in 1799. Later in the 19th century the construction of railway lines through the area led to the establishment of Railway works and the village became a parish in its own right. The Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway first opened in 1831 to supply the St. Rollox Chemical Works and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was opened in 1842. Later, the City Union Line was extended to Springburn in 1871 and the Hamiltonhill Branch Line opened in 1894. Initially located outwith the Glasgow boundary, the area was eventually absorbed by the City of Glasgow Corporation in 1872.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...