Old Photograph MacKirdy Fountain Lesmahagow Scotland
Old photograph of the MacKirdy fountain in Lesmahagow near Lanark, Scotland. In 1873 water from a spring in Greenburn hill was directed to the village using a ditch. An agreement to provide the village with a proper water supply was reached years later with John MacKirdy who promised a generous donation to create what would become known as the MacKirdy tank. As part of the agreement, Birkwood House, the MacKirdy home, would benefit from the water supply, and a drinking fountain would be erected in the village. The name Lesmahagow is possibly a corruption of Church of St Machutus. The saint was born in Wales and may originally have been known as Mahagw prior to emigrating to Brittany where he became known by the Latinised form of the name and also as St Malo.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...