Old Photograph Coal Lorry Railway Station Thurso Scotland
Old photograph of a coal lorry at the railway station in Thurso, Caithness, Scotland. The station is on the Far North Line, within the former county of Caithness. It is the northernmost station on the National Rail network: 154 miles north of Inverness. The station opened on 28 July 1874.
Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Thurso, Caithness, Scotland. Thurso was an important Norse port, and has a later history of trade with ports throughout northern Europe until the 19th century. A thriving fishing centre, Thurso also had a reputation for its linen cloth and tanning activities. Ruined Old St Peter's Church, St. Peter's Kirk, is one of the older churches in Scotland, dated to at least 1125, and at one time it was the principal church for the county, administered by the Bishops of Caithness. The church held hearings against criminal activity and determined how those caught should be punished. In 1701, a woman who had a relationship with a Dutch sailor had her head shaved and was publicly shamed, paraded through the town by the local hangman. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson