Old Photograph LNER Class B1 Steam Train Perth Perthshire Scotland
Old photograph of a LNER Class B1 steam train the railway station in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. The London and North Eastern Railway Thompson Class B1 is a class of steam locomotive designed for medium mixed traffic work. It was designed by Edward Thompson. The B1s operated throughout LNER territory. The first batch was distributed among depots on the former Great Eastern Railway section: Ipswich, Norwich, and Stratford in London, England. Elsewhere there were substantial allocations in Scotland, West Yorkshire and on Humberside. The Perth station was opened as Perth General by the Scottish Central Railway in 1848. Originally the terminus of the main line from Greenhill Junction near Glasgow, it soon became a junction of some importance with the arrival of the Dundee and Perth Railway from Dundee, following the completion of a bridge across the River Tay, the Edinburgh and Northern Railway from Ladybank on the Fife coast and the Scottish Midland Junction Railway from Forfar within months. Subsequent construction by the Perth and Dunkeld Railway and the Perth, Perthshire, Almond Valley and Methven Railway added further lines into and out of the city, with the former becoming part of what is now the Highland Main Line to Inverness. The Scottish Midland Junction Railway meanwhile would become part of a through route to Aberdeen by 1856, thus giving Perth travellers easy access to all of the major Scottish cities.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson