Old Photograph Crossgates Colliery Cowdenbeath Fife Scotland


Old photograph of Crossgates Colliery by Cowdenbeath, Fife, Scotland. Before 1850, Cowdenbeath was just a collection of farms within the parish of Beath. By 1850, the flourishing coal pits of Kelty, Lochgelly, Donibristle, Fordell and Hill of Beath surrounded the hamlet of Cowdenbeath. Within the greater area, which later became the Burgh of Cowdenbeath, there was little mining activity. Gibson, of Hill of Beath and the Symes, of Cartmore, had opened small pits in the vicinity of Jubilee Park at the southern border of the Burgh, and other small pits appear to have been worked in the vicinity of Union Street.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...