Old Photograph The School Kemnay Scotland
Old photograph of the school in Kemnay located sixteen miles West of Aberdeen, Scotland. The name of this Scottish village is believed to originate from the Celtic words that mean bend and river due to the village location on the bend of the River Don. Kemnay Quarry was opened in 1830 by John Fyfe, and became commercial in 1858. Kemnay Granite has been used in many famous buildings and structures, including; The Cenotaph in Glasgow, Forth Railway Bridge, Marischal College in Aberdeen, Thames Embankment in London, England and various buildings on Princes Street in Edinburgh. Granite workers from Kemnay helped to quarry and shape the Australian granite used in the Sydney Harbour Bridge. They also travelled to quarries in California, America, the Mississippi Levees and Odessa.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...