Old Photograph Railway Station Carmyllie Scotland
Old photograph of the Railway Station in Carmyllie, Angus, Scotland. The Carmyllie Railway was built in 1855 to enable transport of stone products from the Carmyllie area of Scotland to markets. At the time the stone was highly sought after for the urban development in progress. The 6.5 miles long line ran to the main line of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway at Elliot Junction railway station. In 1900 a passenger service was initiated on the line under the terms of Light Railway legislation. It was the first such in Scotland. However it was unsuccessful and ended in 1929. The line closed completely in May 1965.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson