Old Photograph Railway Station Gourock Scotland
Old photograph of the railway station in Gourock, Renfrewshire, near Glasgow, Scotland. The railway station is a terminus of the Inverclyde Line, located at Gourock pierhead, serving the town as well as the ferry services it was originally built for. The Caledonian Railway found that their service to Greenock Central station, which was an inconvenient walk away from the quay, was losing Clyde steamer trade to the new Glasgow and South Western Railway terminal at Prince's Pier in Greenock. The Caley extended their line through a new tunnel to the small fishing village of Gourock, with the railway running on the seaward side of Shore Street to the terminal which opened on 1 June 1889 and subsequently based the headquarters of their steamer fleet there. The terminal is now the headquarters of Caledonian MacBrayne who used to run a car ferry to Dunoon from the pier, a service which is now provided by Argyll Ferries on a passenger only basis, and it also serves Clyde Marine passenger ferries to Kilcreggan and Helensburgh.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson