Old Photograph Main Street West Linton Scotland
Old photograph of cottages, shops and people on Main Street in West Linton near Penicuik, Scotland. Linton was raised to a Burgh of Regality in 1631, with the right to hold fairs and markets. The importance of droving and the markets reached their zenith in the early years of the nineteenth century, when upwards of 30,000 sheep would be sold annually, including the famous Linton breed. The markets at Linton were considered the largest in Scotland and were widely referred to as an expression for any gathering of a large size: " big as a Linton Market." West Linton had two therapeutic wells, the waters of which were sold on market days for either a penny or a half penny, depending on the well.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson