Old Photograph Clyde Training Ship Empress Garelochhead Scotland
Old photograph of a paddle steamer and the Clyde Training Ship Empress by Garelochhead, Scotland. The Empress was a sailing ship built in 1850. It was a replacement vessel for the original training ship Cumberland, an old Navy Ship, which had been previously moored at the same anchorage from 1869 and was destroyed by fire in 1889 by the boys on the ship. The purpose of these vessels was to provide care for homeless young boys, petty offenders, truants, etc; mainly from the Glasgow area. They had school lessons and physical training. They were dressed in smart pseudo naval uniforms and spent all of their time aboard except for shore duties and leave. Originally in Dunbartonshire, Garelochhead village developed from the 1820s with the advent of steamer cruising during the Glasgow Fair holiday. Tourism was boosted with the opening of the West Highland Railway line to Fort William in 1894.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson