Old Photograph HMS Scout River Clyde Clydebank Scotland
Old photograph of HMS Scout on the River Clyde in Clydebank by Glasgow, Scotland. This S Class Destroyer was ordered from John Brown of Clydebank in April 1917. The ship was laid down on 25th October 1917 and launched on 27th April 1918 as the 15th Royal Navy ship to carry the name. The name was first used in 1577 and previously for a cruiser sold in 1904. The build was completed on 15th June 19l8. During the inter war years she was deployed in the Mediterranean and after 1928 went to the China Station. She was still serving there when war with Germany was declared in September 1939. Following a successful WARSHIP WEEK National Savings campaign in December 1941 she was adopted by the civil community of Leatherhead. Surrey, England.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson