Tour Scotland Video Old Photographs Kildary
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Kildary, Easter Ross, Scotland. The village is located on the Balnagown River and is bordered by Balnagown Castle which is the ancestral home of the Chiefs of Clan Ross. In the early 14th century, a castle was begun at Balnagown by Hugh, Mormaer Earl of Ross. Hugh was husband of Maud, sister of King Robert the Bruce. During the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, David Ross, 12th of Balnagown, fought for King Charles II at the Battle of Worcester in 1651, although he was captured and died in the Tower of London, England. The 13th laird, another David, married Anne, daughter of James Stuart, 4th Earl of Moray, in 1666. David and Anne rebuilt Balnagown. Sir Charles Ross, 9th Baronet, inherited in 1911. He continued the tradition of agricultural improvement, introducing the silo and the combine harvester to the estate. He also invented the Ross rifle. Since the 1970s it has been owned by the Egyptian-born businessman Mohamed Al-Fayed. Kildary was served in the past by a railway station. It was opened on 1 June 1864 as Parkhill and renamed Kildary on 1 May 1868. The station was closed on 13 June 1960. The station was demolished when the A9 was realigned. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson