Scotland. Eaglesham House or Eaglesham Castle as it was known locally, was built in 1859 by the Gilmour brothers. James and Allan Gilmour had bought the estate of Eaglesham from the Earl of Eglinton in 1844. Allan Gilmour had been a founder and partner in the firm of Pollok and Gilmour, ship owners and timber importers until retiring in 1839. The mansion was designed in the Scots baronial style with a square tower as the dominating feature. In the grounds of the mansion house there were offices, gardens, two lodge houses, parks and plantations. Unfortunately, this grand mansion was badly damaged by fire in 1954 and was not rebuilt.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.