Glasgow, Scotland. J&G Thomson of Clydebank launched Minerva for the Glasgow and South Western Railway on 6 May 1893. She had two sister ships with slight detail differences: PS Glen Rosa, which was also built for the G&SWR, and PS Slieve Donard, which was built for the Belfast and County Down Railwayin Ireland. She worked various G&SWR ferry routes, commonly to Rothesay and the Kyles, and in winter to the Isle of Arran. In 1902 she was re-boilered, as a result of which her funnel was moved further forward. In June 1916 the Admiralty requisitioned her for the Royal Navy as an auxiliary patrol vessel. The Turkish Navy captured her in 1917. After the Armistice of Mudros in 1918 she returned to the Royal Navy. From April 1919 she served as a minesweeper. In 1924 she was sold to Turkish owners, who operated her as a ferry on the Bosphorus. She had been scrapped by 1928.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.