Wednesday, 30 March 2016
Tour Scotland Video Claypotts Castle West Ferry Dundee
Tour Scotland video of Claypotts Castle on ancestry visit to West Ferry in Dundee, Scotland. The castle was originally built by John Strachan around 1569–1588 according to dates inscribed on stones that make up parts of the castle, which make its construction longer than usual for such a small building. The land on which the castle was built was originally leased by the Strachan family from the Tironensian Abbey of Lindores in Fife, starting in the early 16th century. In 1601 the Strachan family sold the castle to Sir William Graham of Ballunie who later sold it to Sir William Graham of Claverhouse. The castle became the property of the crown in 1689 after the death of the then current owner Viscount Dundee John Graham of Claverhouse at the battle of Killiecrankie. In 1694 the castle was given to James Douglas, 2nd Marquess of Douglas. The castle later became the property of his son the Duke of Douglas and after his death in 1761 became the subject of a legal battle for the next eight years until the courts ruled Archibald Douglas to be heir. Ownership later passed to the 13th Earl of Home. This Scottish castle is haunted by a White Lady seen at a window in the castle each 29 May. She is reputed to be the ghost of Marion Ogilvie, the mistress of Cardinal Beaton who was murdered in St Andrews, Fife, on 29 May 1546. Appearing upset, the ghost of a white woman frantically waves from a high window once every year. In life she was a mistress of Cardinal Beaton.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...