Tour Scotland Winter 4K travel video of the harbour in Tayport on ancestry, genealogy, family history to the coast of North East Fife, Britain, United Kingdom. Tayport Harbour was arguably the world's first roll on roll off ferry crossing the Tay at Tayport and over to Broughty Ferry. The current harbour was rebuilt 1847 by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway as a basin formed by a pier and two quays; it was the terminus of the ferry to Broughty Ferry which served to complete the link up of the east coast railway between Edinburgh and Aberdeen. The harbour fell into disuse for that purpose when the first Tay Rail bridge was built but was then brought back into use as a rail ferry link when the first Tay bridge was destroyed in a storm in 1879. The Harbour was eventually taken over by a Timber processing company, Donaldsons of Tayport, and was used by cargo boats of up to 3000 tons carrying potatoes, grain, esparto grass and timber until the 1980s when the timber firm began to wind down its operation. The settlement was originally called Port na Creige meaning the Harbour of the Rock in Scottish Gaelic. As the use of Gaelic declined in Fife, this was renamed in Scots as Port-on-Craig, and then Ferry Port on Craig. By the meteorological calendar, the first day of Winter is always 1st December in Scotland; ending on 28th of February. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day. Find things to see and do in Scotland where you are always welcome.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs
No comments:
Post a Comment