Fife, Scotland. There have been several railway stations in Newburgh, Fife. The original was opened in 1848 by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. The line through the station was from Ladybank to Perth. This station lasted until August 1906, when the newer station was opened. Newburgh became a junction station on 25 January 1909, when the Newburgh and North Fife Railway company opened a line from Newburgh to Dundee. This route called at Lindores, Luthrie, and Kilmany, and was an attempt to provide a competitive service between Perth, Perthshire, and Dundee via the south of the River Tay. In July 1933, the line from Newburgh to Bridge of Earn was converted to single track. By this time, the station was in ownership by the London and North Eastern Railway. The station's history continued mainly uneventfully until 19 September 1955 when the station closed to passengers, but remained open for goods purposes. Today, the station lies derelict, the platform and building still intact, although gutted of all furnishings. It has been suggested many times that the station should be re-opened, along with Abernethy and Bridge of Earn, as these places have slowly been developing over the past 25 years. The line from Ladybank to Perth forms part of the Edinburgh to Aberdeen Line. For now, though, the train service is replaced permanently by a bus, and to operate stopping services on the line may require loops in certain places, possibly even redoubling, as the line is already heavily used by Inverness, Perth, Edinburgh Waverley services. Occasionally, freight, London, England, bound trains and the Caledonian Sleeper services use this line if the route via Stirling is closed for maintenance. A few rail tours have also been known to traverse the Newburgh line.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.