Stirling, Scotland. St. Ninians is a long standing settlement which is now a district of the city of Stirling. It was originally known as Eccles, and may have been a Christian site from an unusually early date, perhaps in the 5th or 6th century. Later called St. Ringan's, a variant of St Ninian's. The church here was the administrative centre for churches across the strath of the River Forth. In the aftermath of the 1745 Jacobite Rising, the retreating army of Bonnie Prince Charlie blew up the church of St. Ninians where they had been storing munitions; only the tower survived and can be seen to this day. During the 19th century, St. Ninians' main industry was nail making, with the main works located at the corner of Weaver Row and Main Street, known locally as Nailworks Corner.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.