Thursday, 10 August 2017
Old Photograph Passenger Train Viaduct Glen Falloch Scotland
Old photograph of a diesel passenger train crossing the viaduct in Glen Falloch, located between Crianlarich and the top end of Loch Lomond, Scotland. The viaduct was built by Formans and McCall of Glasgow, Lucas and Aird of London, England and Alexander Findlay and Company of Motherwell, to carry the West Highland Railway, a subsidiary of the North British Railway across the Dubh Eas on Loch Lomondside; it opened on 11 August 1894, and remains in use. For the most part Glen Falloch follows the course of the River Falloch which rises on the north facing slopes of Beinn a'Chroin and flows North West into Glen Falloch where it turns sharply South West before flowing 12 miles into Loch Lomond. The river's principal tributaries are the Dubh Eas, Allt Fionn Ghlinne, Eas Eonan, Allt Criche, Allt a' Chuilinn and Allt Andoran. Both the road and the railway line north to Crianlarich pass through Glen Falloch.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...