Old Photograph Carnegie Library Kinross Scotland
Old photograph of the Carnegie Library and Town Hall in Kinross, Perthshire, Scotland. The original Tradesman's Library here dated from 1825. The memorial stone for the new library was laid by Sir Basil Montgomery in 1905 after Kinross Burgh Council received a gift from Dr Andrew Carnegie. The building adjoins the Clock Tower, Town Hall and old Post Office. The architect was Peter Henderson based at 122 George Street, in Edinburgh, who was better known for his brewery and bar designs. More than 600 public libraries were built in the UK and Ireland with money donated by Scottish philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Both buildings are now closed and up for sale. The library was closed in 2001 after dry rot was discovered in the structure of the building. The Kinross Museum that occupied part of the library was closed in 1996 when Perth and Kinross Council withdrew funding.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...