Old Photograph Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of the Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin on the Great Western Road in Glasgow, Scotland. The current building was opened on 9 November 1871 as St Mary's Episcopal Church and was completed in 1893 when the spire was completed. The architect was George Gilbert Scott. It was raised to cathedral status in 1908. The total height of the cathedral is 63 metres. The twin roles of Rector of the congregation and Provost of the Cathedral are carried out by one person. The candidate for the post of Rector and Provost is nominated as Rector by the Vestry on behalf of the congregation and elected as Provost by the Bishop meeting in Chapter. Frederic Llewellyn Deane was the first Provost in 1908, four years after becoming Rector. His successor, Ambrose Lethbridge, became Provost in 1918, a year after being installed as Rector. Following the sudden death of Bishop Goldie in October 1980, the installation of Malcolm Grant as Rector and Provost was delayed until after the enthronement of Bishop Rawcliffe in Spring 1981. Kelvin Holdsworth was installed as Rector and Provost on 31 May 2006, the Feast of the Visitation.
Tour Scotland video of a drive down Great Western Road on ancestry visit to Glasgow, Scotland. The original starting point of the A82 in Glasgow was at Trongate. It proceeded to run westwards along Argyle Street and Dumbarton Road to Dumbarton via Clydebank. On 16 May 1934, the road was rerouted to run along Buchanan Street, New City Road and Great Western Road, whose westward extension from Anniesland Cross had been recently completed. The route between Glasgow and Dumbarton has since broadly remained the same, aside from the declassification of the route to the south of the M8 when that motorway was constructed.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...