Tour Scotland Video Old Photographs Findochty Moray
Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Findochty, a village on the Moray Firth coast of Scotland. One of the earliest references to Findochty is in 1440, in which year the King granted Findachtifeild to John Dufe, son of John Dufe. The lands passed from the Duffs to the Ogilvies of Findlater and subsequently, in 1568, the Ord family acquired the manor, port, custom and fishers' lands of Findochty. In 1716 the Ord family brought 13 men and 4 boys from Fraserburgh under contract to fish from Findochty, and for a time the harbour was busy with landings of herring and white fish. Findochty expanded as a fishing port through the 1700s and 1800s, and by 1850 was home to 140 fishing boats. But the expansion in the late 1800s of nearby Buckie provided a better harbour, and some of the fishing fleet had left Findochty by 1890. A local artist, Correna Cowie created a statue in 1959 of a seated fisherman, known as The Mannie, who watches over the harbour. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson