Old Photograph Steam Train Loch Garry Polmadie Scotland

Old photograph of the steam train Loch Garry in the Train Depot in Polmadie, Paisley by Glasgow, Scotland. Polmadie is situated south of the River Clyde, and adjacent to the Gorbals of Glasgow. The depot was originally built in 1879 by the Caledonian Railway. HR 127 Loch Garry was a member of the Highland Railway's 'Loch' class of 4-4-0 locomotive. It was built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896. After the grouping it became LMS 14387 and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1930. Loch Garry, Scottish Gaelic: Loch Garraidh, is a fresh water Loch North of Fort William, Lochaber. It is fed by waters from Loch Quoich upstream on the River Garry, and drains into Loch Oich in the Great Glen downstream. Glen Garry used to be home of the Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry, but since the Highland Clearances the population has been reduced to a handful of estates. The main activities are deerstalking, fishing and forestry, with little tourism apart from munro baggers seeking some spectacularly remote mountains at the head of the glen. The lonely road along the north side of Loch Garry continues past Loch Quoich to Kinlochhourn from where a footpath continues to Knoydart. There is another Loch Garry in Glengarry County, Ontario, Canada. This loch is named by Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry, after their previous home loch, Loch Garry in Scotland, after their emigration to the county from Scotland in result of the Highland Clearances.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...