Old Photograph North Buchanan Street Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of cars, shops, horses and carts, buildings and people on North Buchanan Street in Glasgow, Scotland. The first part of Buchanan Street from Argyle Street to Gordon Street was opened in 1780 and the remaining section in 1804. Initially, the street was occupied by a mixture of merchants’ villas, small holdings and some workshops but as the century progressed some very handsome buildings were erected, the first of significance being St George’s Church, now known as St. George’s Tron Church, designed by William Stark and completed in 1808. Further fine buildings were added, including the Glasgow Stock Exchange in 1875, designed by John Burnet. The street acquired a reputation for elegance and shopping which continues to this day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...