Old Photograph LNER Class J37 Steam Train St Margaret's Railway Depot Meadowbank Edinburgh Scotland
Old photograph of an LNER Class J37 steam train in St Margaret's Railway Depot in Edinburgh, Scotland. This is a class of 0-6-0 steam locomotive designed by William Paton Reid for freight work on the North British Railway. The new locomotives were introduced in 1914 and had superheaters, inside cylinders and piston valves operated by Stephenson valve gear. The locomotives performed admirably on fast mainline freight services, and heavy Fife coal trains. On some parts of the network, notably the West Highland Railway Line, they were used for both freight and passenger duties. The engines have been described as being the most successful and the most powerful 0-6-0 tender engines ever employed in Scotland. The first engine shed, a roundhouse, and the workshops comprising St. Margaret's, were built atop a historic well by the North British Railway in 1845. Mainly associated over the following years with the movement of coal and general freight traffic, the depot was never to match its close Edinburgh Haymarket neighbour in glamour of any form.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...