Old Photograph Class II Pictish Stone Rosemarkie Scotland
Old photograph of the Class II Pictish Stone which was found sometime prior to 1821 in the floor of the old church in the village of in Rosemarkie, Scotland. Rosemarkie was the probable site of a major Pictish monastery, on the Black Isle of Easter Ross. When found, the stone was broken into two parts that have since been reconstructed. On the front side is an elaborately decorated cross, while on the reverse side are various common Pictish symbols, including three crescents and v rods and a double disc and Z rod, as well as a smaller cross at the bottom. It is the only Pictish stone to bear three versions of the same symbol. The sides are also decorated with a number of interlace patterns. It is one of the major surviving examples of Pictish art in stone.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson