Old Photograph Pier Lochranza Isle Of Arran Scotland
Old photograph of the pier at Lochranza on the Isle of Arran, in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland. The building of the Lochranza Pier was authorised in 1888 by the 12th Duke of Hamilton. It had a low berth to accommodate the fishing fleet. This ended the period when passengers had the hazardous trip from the steamer to the Ferry Rock, off the coast, and back. In 1900 the first turbine steamers, The King Edward and Queen Alexandria did round trips from and to Gourock, or Greenock, via Campbeltown.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson