Old Photograph The Palace Cinema Rosyth Fife Scotland
Old photograph of the Palace Cinema in Rosyth, Fife, Scotland. The Palace Cinema was opened on 26th December 1921 with 900 seats. It was part of the Scottish Cinemas Variety Theatres chain, who were part of the Associated British Cinemas chain. The proscenium was 29 feet wide. Around 1930 it was equipped with a Western Electric sound system and was taken over by an independent operator. It later continued as a cinema in the A.B. King chain until it closed in the late 1960’s. It became a bingo club until the mid 1970’s. In recent years has become CJ’s Premier Pool hall and the American Lounge Bar. The area is best known for its large dockyard, formerly the Royal Naval Dockyard Rosyth, construction of which began in 1909. The town was planned as a garden city with accommodation for the construction workers and dockyard workers.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson