Old Photograph High School For Girls Aberdeen Scotland
Old photograph of the High School for girls in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The school began in 1874 in the buildings in Little Belmont Street that had been known as the Town Schools, later the English School. It was an elementary school received government grants, but there was an understanding that its status would be altered if the demand for higher education should warrant it. In practice its secondary work started in 1878 and in March 1881 the School Board, by a resolution in terms of the Education Scotland Act of 1872, declared the school a Higher Class School. Its name was changed from the English School to the Aberdeen High School for Girls. In 1891 Mrs. Elmslie's Institution at 19 Albyn Place was bought for the school. This house was built by Archibald Simpson. After alteration to the interior the school moved there in 1893. As the school grew, extensions were made. 18 Albyn Place was acquired in 1920 and after a destructive fire in 1935 major reconstructions were planned. These were completed after the Second World War. This work was undertaken by J.A.O. Allan and D.J.A. Ross for the Corporation of Aberdeen.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson