Old Photograph Henry Currie Shop Newton Mearns Scotland
Old photograph of the Henry Currie shop and Post Office in Newton Mearns located seven miles South West of Glasgow, Scotland. Until the 20th century, the land around Newton Mearns was primarily agricultural. Ownership passed from the Pollocks, whose name is perpetuated in the nearby Glasgow housing estate of Pollok, to the Maxwells of Caerlaverock around 1300. It then passed to the Maxwells of Nether Pollok in 1648 and then the Stewarts of Blackhall in 1660. A new turnpike road from Eastwood Toll, now the main Ayr Road, was constructed in 1832. However, from the early 20th century, with the introduction of improved roads and railways to the area, it gradually became a growing commuter suburb of Glasgow.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson