Stirling, Scotland. The well house at Bridge of Allan was one of the earliest buildings of this type in Scotland, predating the hydropathic movement. The mineral springs and their medical qualities were decisive in the development of Bridge of Allan and this well house is one of the earliest surviving buildings in the village associated with this important industry. Although the medicinal qualities of the water were known by the local labourers in the middle of the 18th century, it was not until Sir Robert Abercrombie purchased the Airthrey estate from the Haldanes Family in 1807 that the water from the metal ore mines was analysed by Dr Thomson, Professor of Chemistry at the University of Glasgow and the results published. This discovery transformed Bridge of Allan.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.