Perthshire, Scotland. Kinclaven Castle was erected by Malcolm Canmore, born 1057, died 1093. It is now a square enclosure measuring externally 130ft, with walls 7'6" thick. There were evidently towers, probably square, at each angle, and the courtyard was entered by narrow doors, parts of their rybats still remaining. The principal entrance was near the South end of the West side, and a postern was situated in the centre of the South front. There is no vestige of interior buildings. Indications of a ditch are visible in part, and there is an early reference to a drawbridge. An inscribed plate states that the castle was taken and wrecked by William Wallace in 1299, but was repaired again by 1335. It was purely a garrison castle, and must have been abandoned for many centuries.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.