Old Photograph Tulloch Castle Scotland

Old photograph of Tulloch Castle in Dingwall, Scotland. Tulloch Castle dates to the mid 16th century, when Duncan Bayne was granted the barony of Tulloch in 1542. In the 18th century however, ownership of the castle changed hands. Kenneth Bayne, 8th Laird of Tulloch, sold the estate to his cousin, Henry Davidson, on the 13 January 1762. On Henry's death in 1781 Tulloch was inherited by his younger brother Duncan Davidson, born 1733, died 1799. He was in turn succeeded by his son Henry, born 1771, died 1827, grandson Duncan, died 1881, and great grandson Duncan Henry Caithness Reay Davidson, born 1836, died 1889, who was the father of the last Davidson of Tulloch, Duncan, born 1865, died 1917. The castle passed out of Davidson ownership in 1917 when the last direct descendant of this family, Duncan Davidson, died and left the castle to his daughter and her son, Colonel Angus Vickers, of the Vickers aircraft company. After serving as the Vickers' family home for several years, and as a hospital for casualties of Dunkirk in 1940, Tulloch Castle was purchased by the local education authority in 1957. It was used as a hostel for students from the west coast of Scotland who were studying at Dingwall Academy until 1976. After this, the castle fell into disrepair until it was renovated and converted into a hotel by local family, the MacAulays, in 1996. Now part of the Oxford Hotels and Inns chain, Tulloch Castle is used as a hotel and conference centre. It played host to the official Clan Davidson Gathering in October 2007.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...