Old Travel Blog Photograph George Sinclair Painters And Decorators Shop Gorgie Edinburgh Scotland

Old travel Blog photograph of the George Sinclair, Painters and Decorators, shop in Gorgie, Edinburgh, Scotland. Gorgie is recorded in 12th century charters of Holyrood Abbey, when in 1236 it came into the possession of Sir William Livingston. In 1799, the Cox family who owned a mill bought most of the former estate from the residual Livingston family. They developed a glue factory on the site, which was redeveloped under a new Post Office Telecommunications telephone exchange in 1969. From 1527, the landowners lived in Gorgie House, situated on Alexander Drive. Its remnants were demolished in 1937, to allow construction of the Pooles Roxy cinema and some housing. With grain whisky consumption growing in the industrialised and railway connected Victorian era, independent whisky blenders needed access to a high quality and high volume producer of grain whisky spirit. In 1885, major shareholders Andrew Usher, William Sanderson and John M. Crabbie, with numerous other whisky blenders as shareholders, established the North British Distillery Company, which bought the former pig farm, and began developing a distillery. The distillery gained access to the Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway, which began developing a railway station in Gorgie. This brought about the 1888 development of Stewart Terrace, Wardlaw Place, Wardlaw Street, and the tenement flats of Tynecastle Terrace and Ardmillan Terrace; although Gorgie, west of Robertson Avenue, did not lose its rural character until the early 1900s.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: