Tuesday, 19 December 2017

Tour Scotland Video Of Old Photographs Of Helensburgh



Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Helensburgh a town in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. This Scottish town is located on the north shore of the Firth of Clyde and the eastern shore of the entrance to the Gareloch. In 1752 Sir James Colquhoun, died 1786, chief of the Clan Colquhoun of Luss, bought the land which was to become Helensburgh; at that time it was known by such names as Malig, Millig or Milligs. In 1776 he placed an advertisement in a Glasgow newspaper seeking to feu the land, and in particular he stated that " bonnet makers, stocking, linen and woolen weavers will meet with encouragement ". However his efforts were unsuccessful, partly because roads were rudimentary and also because the shore at Helensburgh made it unattractive to shipping, it was shallow, dotted with large rocks and subject to a prevailing onshore wind. No precise date is known for the change of name to Helensburgh. However it was probably around 1785 when Sir James decided to name the town after his wife, Lady Helen Sutherland, born 1717, died 1791; she was the granddaughter of the 16th Earl of Sutherland. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Travel Video Winter Snow Before Christmas Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...