Friday, 4 August 2017
Old Photograph Gymnasium Merchiston Castle School Edinburgh Scotland
Old photograph of the gymnasium in Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh, Scotland. In May 1833, Charles Chalmers took a lease of Merchiston Castle, the former home of John Napier, the inventor of logarithms, which at that time stood in rural surroundings, and opened his academy, starting with thirty boys. Over time, the number of pupils grew and the Merchiston Castle became too small to accommodate the school. The governors decided to purchase 90 acres of ground at the Colinton House estate, four miles south west of Edinburgh. In 1930 the school moved to Colinton. Three years later, in 1933, Merchiston celebrated its centenary, attended by the Duke and Duchess of York. Fifty years on, in 1983, at a time of further expansion and with 350 boys on the roll, their daughter, now Queen Elizabeth II, visited the school for its 150th anniversary.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...