Wednesday, 9 August 2017
Old Photograph Funeral Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman Meigle Perthshire Scotland
Old photograph of the Funeral of Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman in Meigle, Perthshire, Scotland. Nearby Belmont Castle, constructed from the 15th century, originally as a residence of the Bishops of Dunkeld, was the residence of Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman, born 1836, died 1908, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1905 to 1908. He is buried in the village churchyard. Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman was born on 7 September 1836 at Kelvinside House in Glasgow as Henry Campbell, the second son and youngest of the six children born to Sir James Campbell of Stracathro, born 1790, died 1876, and his wife Janet Bannerman, born 1799, died 1873. Sir James Campbell had started work at a young age in the clothing trade in Glasgow, before going into partnership with his brother in 1817 to found J.& W. Campbell & Company., a warehousing, general wholesale and retail drapery business. Sir James was elected as a member of Glasgow Town Council in 1831 and stood as a Conservative candidate for the Glasgow constituency in the 1837 and 1841 general elections, before being appointed to serve as the Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1840 to 1843. In April 1868, at the age of thirty one, Campbell-Bannerman stood as a Liberal candidate in a by-election for the Stirling Burghs constituency, narrowly losing to fellow Liberal John Ramsay. However, at the general election in November of that year, Campbell-Bannerman defeated Ramsay and was elected to the House of Commons as the Liberal Member of Parliament for Stirling Burghs, a constituency that he would go on to represent for almost forty years.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...