Old Photograph Railway Station Coatbridge Scotland

Old photograph of the railway station in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. The station was original named Coatbridge and opened in 1842. It was renamed Coatbridge Central in 1953 after the 1826 Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway station named Coatbridge Central had closed in 1951. It is located on what was originally the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway, which later became the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway. The connection southwards came courtesy of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway, with their first passenger train arriving from Morningside in May 1845. Both companies were subsequently taken over by the Caledonian Railway in 1849. A further route to the station, the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway from Glasgow via Rutherglen and Carmyle was opened in August 1866.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...