Old Photograph Murray Road Girvan Scotland
Old photograph of women outside a corner shop on Murray Road in Girvan in South Ayrshire, Scotland. Girvan was originally a fishing port. In 1668, it became a municipal burgh incorporated by charter. It is stituated on the east coast of the Firth of Clyde, south of Ayr, and 29 miles north of Stranraer, the main ferry port from Scotland to Northern Ireland. Girvan is twinned with Torcy, Seine-et-Marne, France, in honour of a Scottish knight named Sir Thomas Huston originally from Girvan, who fought the English as part of the Auld Alliance during the Hundred Years War. Rewarding him for his bravery during the capture of Meaux in 1439, the King of France granted him the fiefdom of Torcy.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...