Old Photograph Interior Canisbay Church John O' Groats Scotland
Old photograph of the interior of Canisbay Church in John o' Groats, Caithness, Scotland. This Scottish place takes its name from Jan de Groote, a Dutchman who obtained a grant for the ferry from the Scottish mainland to Orkney, recently acquired from Norway, from James IV, King of Scots, in 1496. The nineteenth century church was sometimes used by the Royal Family as it is not far from the Castle of Mey which was owned by the Queen Mother. Inside the church which is open to the public is a memorial to Jan de Groot who started the ferry service to Orkney in 1496.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...