Old Photograph Gannochy Bridge Scotland
Old photograph of Gannochy Bridge by Edzell, Angus, Scotland. This bridge, completed in 1724, spans the South Esk at a height of 65 feet by means of a single arch of 52 ft span at a point where it flows through a deep gorge cut through the local red sandstone. It was a bold effort for its time, built at the expense of James Wood, a local farmer, who employed a mason to build the arch but constructed the parapet walls himself. The bridge carries the B966 public road across the River North Esk to the North of Edzell village. The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Fettercairn in Kincardineshire, and Edzell in Angus, to the East and West respectively.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...