Old Photograph Cave Rock Laide Scotland
Old photograph of Cave Rock at Laide on the South side of Gruinard Bay twelve miles North of Poolewe in Wester Ross, Scotland. This rock was blown over during a severe gale in 1950. Laide is a small hamlet on an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross in the Highlands. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends. At Laide there are the ruins of a chapel. This building dates from 1713 when George Mackenzie of Gruinard either restored or rebuilt an earlier chapel which was believed to have been built by St. Columba. In the nineteenth century the chapel fell in to disuse and services were held in a nearby cave. In the distance is Beinn Ghobhlach, meaning horned or forked, a mountain on the Scoraig Peninsula between Little Loch Broom and Loch Broom. At 2083 feet it may not be one of Scotland's highest peaks but its isolation makes it very impressive.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...